Some of Fenn's Favorite Wrestling Moments

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

ECW 1/30/08

Posted by Fenn Jan 30 2008 at 12:29:01 PM

ECW... hmm. ECW, what has happened to you?

Things looked promising way back at One Night Stand (2005). I expected a toned down version of ECW when WWE revived it, but things have gotten way too soft. I have to be honest, I am not happy with what ECW has become (who is?). ECW has devolved into Smackdown 2. Actually, I kinda feel that 'Smackdown 2', is too much of a compliment (not that smackdown is much better these days). ECW has devolved into a mixture of Sunday Night Heat and Velocity. The majority of the current roster, in my opinion, is full of 'just-above-jobbers'. At this point, I find myself only watching ECW on commercial breaks for the show that I'm really watching. At this point, I can't even be bothered to record it on my DVR. I mean seriously, the few remaining ECW originals are barely used. Poor Tommy Dreamer... Balls Mahoney... poor Little Guido/Nunzio. I feel bad for you guys... Vince, give them screentime! In my opinion, the current ECW has become the show of, 'we don't know what to do with you, so well put you on this piece of crap show'.

There was a great, open and honest, interview with Rob Van Dam on the Baltimore Sun's Ring Posts blog (I'll put a link at the bottom of this post). It really gives behind the scenes insight into WWE's ECW debacle. My respect for RVD has grown since reading it (I've always respected RVD and the things that he's done, but ever since my Step-son dubbed him 'Sweaty buttcrack-man', it's been tough. Breaking kayfabe at One Night Stand is still one of my favorite RVD moments). In the interview, Rob says that Vince claims that he 'trained' the fans to chant ECW whenever they 'saw something extreme'. Vince, this is complete and utter crap. We, your customers and viewing audience, DO remember the way ECW was... If anyone trained us to chant, it was Paul Heyman and the ECW originals. Further more, Vince, you can bet your ass that there are more than 2500 of we 'old ECW' fans. I understand why you've toned it down Vince, I don't want to see anyone get hurt either, but you've really gone too far.


I don't have much to comment about last night's show except:
* We don't care if Kofi Kingston was born in Jamaica... and please get him some new gear. Those boots are reminiscent of 1980's legwarmers. Half the time I expect him to break into the theme from 'Fame'.
* CM Punk makes for a great mariachi... please don't make this his new gimmick. (I wouldn't put it past you, Vince. Heh)
* Give us more Tommy Dreamer (thank you, internet voters)

Ring Posts Interview with RVD, Part I
Ring Posts Interview with RVD, Part II

What's RVD been up to? Check out RVD-TV:
RVD-TV

Side note: Rob, please open a wrestling school here in SoCal. That way, my 35 year-old ass can cruise down PCH and train to be the next, high-flying DDP. Hey, I'm allowed to dream.

No comments: