Some of Fenn's Favorite Wrestling Moments

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Video Game Review: Smackdown! vs. Raw 2008

Posted by Fenn Jan 31 2008 at 12:21:04 PM

I'll keep this short and 'sweet'. (Short for me, anyway. Heh)



Last week I picked up a copy of THQ's WWE Smackdown! vs. Raw 2008 for PS2 (Hey, I can't afford a new console. PPVs are expensive). This week, I took it back to the store. I was tempted to drive up the street to THQ and leave it on their doorstep in flames.

This year's version of SvR is a nearly-identical copy of SvR 2007... except it sucks.

Here's what you have to look forward to:

* An incomplete, inaccurate roster with a nearly vacant Cruiserweight class. There are only roughly 50 wrestlers in SvR 2008. Last year there were over 70 wrestlers.

*
The complete absence of online mode. The replay value here is non-existent.

*
A botched story mode (24/7 mode). I suffered through three 'storylines'. Here's an example:
  • The first storyline was my wrestler fighting for the #1 contender slot, which I won.
  • One would expect the next logical storyline would be challenging for the title... Not so fast... instead of that, I am now competing with Carlito to impress Stephanie McMahon for a starring role in a WWE Films movie? WTF? I win this storyline, just to hear that Stephanie will 'be in touch'.
  • The next storyline, I am again competing for a #1 contenders spot, which I already won in the first storyline.
* Story mode is driven by choices given to the player. Unfortunately, this doesn't work either. In the first story line, I was asked by another wrestler if I want to trade opponents for my next match. Is answered no. Guess what, the game traded anyway! Yay! In another storyline I was given the option of three wrestlers to choose as my tag team partner, of the three, Randy Orton was the most dominant and logical choice, so I choose RKO. The game gave me Johnny Nitro (now John Morrison) as my tag partner.

*
Announcer commentary: You are going to hear the same, canned lines that you have heard ever since the beginning of the series.

*
You can now gain reputation with the fans and cash by cutting promos, making appearances, trophy dates, etc. While this may sound cool, you'll never see your Superstar ever actually DO any of these things.

*
There is a skill improvement mini-game-type thing now where you must complete a set number of moves within 2 minutes. The payoff is not worth the wait while it loads.

*
Loading times are horrendous overall. See a cut scene, loading screen. See an entrance, loading screen. See the next entrance, loading screen. Start the match, loading screen. In fact, I'd bet at least a third of your time with this game is looking at loading screens. They tried to make it interesting with little fact and figures about Superstars, but after you read it once, that's pretty much the end of 'interesting'. (I didn't need to know that Mickie James used to wait tables at the Olive Garden, and who really cares about Cryme Time anyway?)

I could go on and on, but the above is really enough. It's obvious that this title was rushed to market before bug testing/QA was finished.

The only good thing I found about SvR 2008 was the new ECW Extreme Rules match. While this isn't much different than the hardcore match, it does open up a new feature when you get a weapon from under the ring apron. There is now a 'wheel' that appears that allows you to select the weapon you want. There are now also what I would call 'ECW finishers', such as lighting a barbed-wire bat or table on fire. Other ECW additions include fans handing you weapons (ala 'Bring your Own Weapon Night' and being able to approach fans with signs and cheer with them if you are a face, or ripping their signs up if you're a heel. Other new functions here, barely worthy of comment, is a Legend mode where to are able to recreate famous matches from the last (i.e. Montreal Screw-job), the L1 button replacing Triangle as run (you can now control where you run, instead of in a straight line. Triangle is now the finisher button), stamina replenishes during 'rest activities' now and the recover stamina button is now gone, and General Manager mode being nearly identical to the 24/7 mode. Oh, I forgot to mention... there are now 8 unique fighting styles. This is a good feature and helps keeping the wrestlers in character (Example: Someone like Jeff Hardy doesn't remove turnbuckle covers), however with the botched story mode, and no online play, it's really quite pointless.

I suggest buying 'WWE Smackdown! vs Raw 2007'. The series debuted with 'WWF Just Bring It!' debuted on the PS2 back in 2001. SvR 2007 is far the best out of all of them. Furthermore, it has the most complete roster of any of the games, even though it is now 2008. It has online play with voice chat. It makes the best use of the 'new' ultimate control grapple system. (The only real downside here is the Chris Benoit is featured in quite a few storylines. It's a little creepy) You should be able to find it on eBay, or any retailer that carries used games.

The bottom line, I wouldn't wipe my butt with 'Smackdown! vs Raw 2008', and you shouldn't either.

No comments: