Some of Fenn's Favorite Wrestling Moments

Thursday, February 28, 2008

ECW 2/26/2008, Cena on The Rock, Vince No-shows Congress & much more

Yesterday, I was bed-ridden with the flu, so much of what I'm about to rant about is old news, but oh well. I'm still sick, but at least today I'm a bit more ambulatory (walking the dog sure seems like manual labor when you have the flu). You may want to pull up a chair and sit down. There's a lot to write about and this is a long entry.

Here we go...

ECW 2/26/2008
I've never really mentioned this before, and I'm not sure why this is, but I think that ECW by far has the best intro of the three WWE shows. Ever since Smackdown! lost the rights to Marilyn Manson's 'Beautiful People', and Raw stopped using 'Across the Nation' (Move to the music... Play that f*cking music... move to the music, yeah...) I've felt ECW's intro was the best, so maybe it's the music. I think the ECW graphics and pyro are better too, though. Anyway...

ECW opened with the match I'd been dreading since it was mentioned on Raw. Kelly Kelly & Kofi Kington vs. Layla & Santino Marella in a mixed tag match. First off, who cares. Secondly, this wasn't supposed to be a tornado tag match, but that's basically what it was. For the most part, there was no tagging in or out. Not a lot to say here, at least, I don't feel like putting much thought into this match, so here are the high and low points (You can decide which are which):

  • Santino attempting to enter the ring like Layla. I guess the guy needs to do more stretches.
  • Tazz singing the J. Geils Band's 'Centerfold' (it made me gag)
  • A nice double drop kick by Kelly & Kofi
  • The return of Kofi Kingston's 'turnbuckle teabag' (I'm sorry, but this move is way more disgusting than Rikishi's Stinkface)
  • Kelly Kelly's sloppy, uncoordinated and oversold arsenal. At least she's making Mickie James' skills look good in my eyes. (Vince, if they can't wrestle, don't put them in the ring, dammit! )
  • Kelly Kelly's lame 'fameasser'
  • Tazz's comment of Kelly Kelly's 'tremendous athleticism'. She only did a cross body off of the turnbuckle, buddy... and a bad one at that.
  • Tazz singing 'Peter Cottontail'. Dude, stop singing.
  • Now that I look at it, with the exception of the drop kick, it's all bad. At least there wasn't the god-awful screeching and screaming that usually happens in Diva-related matches.

    Next up, Stevie Richards vs. Mike Knox. If you didn't see it, you really didn't miss anything. Mike Knox worked Stevie Richard's neck the majority of the match (hotshot, knee drop, second rope choking, etc). Mike Knox threw an ugly clothesline, which landed across Richards' face. Knox handed Richards his ass to him the whole match, but then Richards won after only two stinger splashes and a Stevie-T. Kinda lame. Oh, and Stevie, your surgery was on the right side of your throat. You'd think that you'd know that. Next time, you may was to hold that side of your neck while you grimace in pain.

    The following match was Tommy Dreamer & Colin Delaney (this week WWE finally signed the little guy) vs. Mike Miz and John Morrison. The star of this match was Tommy Dreamer. I'm glad they are finally giving him a push (thanks once again, internet voters). We got to see Colin Delaney wrestle a bit, but for the most part he still played the part of 'human crash test dummy'. Miz & Morrison pulled off an amazing tag-in double team move on Delaney. I'd try to put it into words, but I couldn't do it justice. Dreamer got the win after a Dreamer DDT, which appears to have set up a re-match next week with the titles on the line.

    The main event was CM Punk vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Elijah Burke in a #1 Contenders match, with Chavo Guerrero as a guest commentator (who was horrible on the mic, as usual). I was actually looking forward to this match. The match started with an impressive roundhouse head kick by Shelton Benjamin, knocking Elijah Burke out of the ring. I was glad to see this right out of the gate, as I was expecting them to team up on CM Punk for the first half of the match. Elijah returned the favor by giving Shelton a low bridge when bouncing off of the rope. The show stealing move of the night: Punk and Burke when having a suplex battle across the top rope. Shelton Benjamin run in, jumping over the two and sunset flip-powerbombs CM Punk onto the floor (see video below, 2:19 in).


    We knew that Shelton wouldn't win this match, as he qualified for the ladder match at WrestleMania on Friday's Smackdown, but he really should have. A very impressive performance.

    Final ECW thoughts: Tazz, what the hell are you wearing? Even Jerry Lawler wouldn't wear a shirt that fugly.


    John Cena's interview in The Sun
    On Tuesday, the UK Tabloid The Sun posted and article with excepts from an interview they did with John Cena. In the printed article, it seems like The Sun has taken a few liberties with creative quoting that paints John Cena as bashing The Rock for 'turning his back on the business'. The article quotes John Cena as saying:

    'What I kind of get peeved about — and this is my Achilles heel — is that I've wanted to do this my whole life.'

    'At one point Rock loved wrestling and wanted to do this all his life.'

    'So explain to me why he can't come back. Simply put it's because he wants to be an actor and there's nothing wrong with that.'

    'He's very good and very successful. Associating with sports entertainment doesn't do much for his acting career — I get it.'

    'Just don't f*ck me around and tell me that you love this. That's the only thing that gets me really p*ssed off.'

    'Our fan base have so much admiration for him, he's got to respect that. He doesn't give anything back.'

    I listened to the interview, and like the CNN steroid interview, what he said was taken out of context and a little bit different without the editing. What was left out of the article on the website was:

    'This is my take on The Rock. He’s genuinely a nice guy. I’ve met him. He's a fantastic human being.'

    'Like I said, he is a great guy. But I think we all know now that he wants to be an actor. And there’s nothing wrong with that, because he’s truly found another passion. He’s good at acting. His films make money.'

    In regard to the Rock coming back, what he really said was:

    'Explain to me why he can’t come back for our 15th anniversary show or why he can’t make an appearance at WrestleMania. Simply put, it's because he wants to be an actor. There's nothing wrong with that. He's a very good actor. He's very successful. He's done very well for himself and associating with sports entertainment doesn't do much for his acting career, it only helps out the sports entertainment audience. So I get why he doesn't come back. Just don't f*ck me around and tell me that you love this, when you're just doing this to do something else. That's the only thing that gets me really p*ssed off.'

    'He has so much admiration from our audience... to have that much admiration still when he hasn't been around or hasn't been on TV, you've got to respect that from our fan base. He doesn't give anything back...
    I wish he’d just show up, say hi and leave... Do the eyebrow once and get out of town'

    The funny thing is, I more agree with the John Cena misquotes. The Rock was 'The Great One'. He has turned his back on us. His movies aren't that spectacular, and was far more entertaining in the ring. Yes, I know Rock... movies pay more. What can I say? I'm selfish.

    Listening to the interview, I have to say that I was peeved at his laughing about what Simon Rothstein and Joel Ross defined what 'proper' wrestling fans were. Not cool John, but I'll get over it. He also spoke about his injury, fans that say he can't wrestle, his time in OVW, Santino Marella, Chris Benoit and more. Given that this is the second misquoted interview with John Cena from a major media source, I can't see that WWE will let him do many more interviews.

    If you want to read the article on the Sun: Cena: The Rock P***es Me Off
    Whether you are a John Cena fan, or hater, I more recommend listening to the actual interview. I for one, have a bit more respect for John Cena after listening to a non-kayfabe interview. It will open up in iTunes: John Cena's Interview


    Floyd Mayweather, Jr vs. Big Show: Floyd's Payday
    During the WrestleMania press conference, Floyd Mayweather mentioned that he was getting $20 million dollars for his WrestleMania involvement. Shane McMahon later confirmed this figure. Jim Ross also confirmed the figure in his blog. I for one, find this figure hard to believe. Whether it's $20 million, or $10 thousand, WWE is throwing money away in my opinion. As I've said again and again, we wrestling fans are not going to get behind the guy as a face after he threw legit punches and broke Big Show's nose the night of his big return. That was supposed to be Big Show's moment, and you ruined it, Floyd.



    Ohio Valley Wrestling
    Last night was the final taping of 'WWE OVW'. Any titles that were held by WWE developmental talents were dropped. In an article posted on the Courier Journal (Louisville, KY) website, OVW says that they will continue the televised promotion, as well as their wrestling school. The Courier Journal quotes OVW office manager as saying:

    'The only thing that's changing are the faces. We're still going to go strong.'

    For the full article: Ohio Valley Wrestling knocked down, not out


    Return of the 'Monday Night War'?
    There's been a rumor floating around the internet that TNA, with Jeff Jarrett being the most vocal, wants to move TNA iMPACT to Monday nights to go head to head against WWE Monday Night Raw. While I think WWE definately needs competition to bring the quality way up, I don't see TNA offering competition in any way whatsoever. TNA 's writing team, as well as production values would both need a major tune-up before they take on the Monday night juggernaut. If they are silly enough to make the schedule move before this happens, I predict the death of TNA. The two products aren't even comparable.


    Vince McMahon No-showed at Congress Hearing
    On Wednesday, Vince McMahon was a no-show at Congress' steroid hearing. Vince cited his attorney's involvement in a lengthy criminal trial in Pittsburgh as the reason. Newsday.com quotes subcommittee chairman Bobby Rush as saying the following in resonse to Vince's abscence:

    'Steroid abuse in pro wrestling is probably worse than in any professional sport or amateur sport. And while I recognize that professional wrestling is not actually a sport, it certainly requires a great deal of athletic talent, I want to insure Mr. McMahon that this subcommittee fully intends to deal with the illegal steroid abuse in professional wrestling'

    For Pete's sake. This is our tax dollars at work. Don't you politicians have more pressing matters to nitpick? How about Iraq, global warming, unemployment and the price of oil, just to name a few. Sometimes I just don't get our government.

    Full article: WWE's McMahon blasted by Congress

    and speaking of politcians... (yeah, I know... weird segue)


    Lance Storm's Knee Surgery
    Lance Storm had knee surgery this week. His latest blog entry really makes me wonder about socialized medicine and universal health care. More importantly, here's to a speedy recovery, Lance. I wish you the best.

    For Lance Storm's commentary about his surgery: Knee Surgery


    Well, that's all for today, folks. If you made all the way through to the end, congratulations. Come back tomorrow for my ramblings on TNA iMPACT

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    it's completely true.I agree.