Some of Fenn's Favorite Wrestling Moments

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Lance Storm Weighs in on MMA's Influence on the WWE

I'm a huge fan of Lance Storm's blog (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't link to it).

He and I have seen eye to eye on a wide array of topics, and typically, he has always been able to put his thoughts into words much better than I can. I've e-mailed him a couple of times voicing agreement to his opinions. I've never received a response, and honestly I didn't expect one. I'm sure he's got a lot more important things to do besides writing back to marks all day. Anyway, today is a prime example.

Today Lance Storm has posted a commentary on MMA's influence on the WWE, directed primarily at the character direction of Undertaker. I highly recommend giving it a read (and his other articles too). Lance addresses 'Taker's new submission, the Gogoplata (yes, I finally figured out what it was called. I found it on Wiki a couple days ago), and how it relates to the world of professional wrestling. Lance brought up a good point, which I was stunned that I didn't realize, about the position of Gogoplata (and Undertaker's triangle choke, for that matter). I wish I hadn't wiped those episodes of Smackdown off of the DVR, because I'm pretty sure when Undertaker had it applied on Big Daddy V, and Mark Henry, his shoulders were on the mat for three seconds.

Enough of my rambling... take a few minutes and head over to Lance Storm's site. You can find his latest article here: Adapting MMA

Side note: Not that you're reading this, but we miss watching you on TV, Lance. You were one of the most brilliant yet underrated (& under appreciated) technicians in professional wrestling. Hopefully, we'll see you again.

No comments: