Some of Fenn's Favorite Wrestling Moments

Friday, February 15, 2008

TNA: Cross the Line?

We're having a cable outage in my area. I haven't had TV for 24 hours. This spared me the two hours that is TNA.

Well, without TV, I've been fairly bored. Curiosity got the best of me, so I pulled up the TNA site to look at last nights results.

Fairly standard TNA fare. Doesn't look like I missed a whole lot. The tired wrestling wedding fiasco (hasn't this gimmick been beaten to death yet?), Tomko stealing Bastista's 'I'm my own man' gimmick, the possible evolution of the Abyss character with a mask dropping (uhm, Kane rip-off, anyone?), NASCAR drivers... Blah. (When will TNA learn that they need to differentiate themselves from WWE, not repackage WWE gimmicks, or copy WWE's campaigns?)

Anyway... the real reason I'm writing this is the 'Cross the Line' video package on the home page. I'd not seen it before.



Okay, I get it. I don't need for different TNA wrestlers to repeat the same line 3-4 times. I'm not a complete dolt. TNA is asking WWE fans to 'Cross the Line'. I really only have one thought...

With the current quality of TNA, shouldn't the new slogan be, "TNA... take a step down"?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mate you got this all wrong. I am 24 and watched the 1st Wrestlemania with my dad at 1 year old so I know what I am talking about. TNA is the future of wrestling entertainment. They push the boundries that WWE USED to push but no longer fulfill that criteria. Ok so TNA rip off storylines and gimmicks. So what? Like WWE havn't repeated storylines and gimmicks time and time again and lets face it, they are getting old. At least TNA put new twists on the stories. The most exiting move on WWE's superstar move list is watching a Diva wipe her own ass! Look at TNA's Move list, Petey Williams Canadian Destroyer, Black Machismo's Lethal Combination. Fast entertaining moves that are new or have a new twist on it.And look at their Roster, Kurt Angle (Easily the best wrestler at least when seen live) And Somoa Joe is a very close second. A guy that big with his speed, he is amazing at what he does. I admit I still watch WWE occasionally but lets be honest, it was much better years ago with Stone Cold And The Rock matches. Without them, WWE is dying. John Cena doesnt even do that much any more. Its boring theres no exitement in it anymore and the storylines are just so lack lust nowadays. I dony know, maybe its just me but unless WWE get some decent superstars back in and start with better storylines and make their moves more exiting, its going to succeed in doing what WCW and ECW failed to do which is kill the WWE.

Nick Jessop
mattnjhardy@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

The "Cross the Line" marketing makes good sense right now.

WWE fans have slowly been growing tired of the product. Some have grown tired of the Cena push, while others simply have not connected to the new characters.

The best way to capitalize on disgruntled WWE fans is to provide them with an alternative.

They're not going to convert every disgruntled WWE fan, but if they can just get a percentage of them, then that increases their own fan base.

When you're the smaller company, you have to do stuff like this to catch up.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Both are good companies. I like TNA better.

Anonymous said...

TNA is wack ass hell, and just a wannabe WWE.

I'm not a major fan of WWE atm, I only watch SD, but besides that, wrestling is at a low point, I can't sit through a whole RAW, ECW or Impact show for the life me.

I know this is going a bit off topic, but I'm just giving my opinion on WWE/TNA.