Some of Fenn's Favorite Wrestling Moments

Friday, February 8, 2008

Smackdown! Leaving the CW?

Yesterday, the WWE the CW Network announced that the 2008 season of Smackdown! will be the last season on the CW.

Actually, I found this shocking. Smackdown! has been on the UPN, and then the CW for ten years... and just last November, Smackdown! was #1 with viewers 34 and under.

Where does Smackdown! go from here? I seriously can't see one of the major networks giving Smackdown a primetime time slot. Sure, there are infrequent Saturday Night's Main Event airings on NBC, so there is some kind of relationship there, but after the failure of the XFL on NBC, I don't know if they'll give Vince another primetime slot. My only thought, is the soon to be doomed 'My TV' network. I haven't watched this channel ever since the WB network turned into My TV... does anyone?

I suppose there's always USA or another slot on Sci Fi, but I really think that Smackdown should be kept on a national network. Let's face it: A good share of Sports Entertainment viewers are 'less affluent'. Does the WWE really want to lose these viewers? Sure, all less affluent viewers wouldn't be lost... but I know from experience, I've been worse off in my life. When money is tight, cable is one of the expenses that get cut.

Heaven forbid that Smackdown! gets relegated to the internet like Velocity (cancelled) and Heat (uploaded on Fridays). Does anyone even watch the webcast?

No comments: