Some of Fenn's Favorite Wrestling Moments

Friday, February 22, 2008

TNA iMPACT! 2/21/2008

As seems to be by current Thursday Night TV-viewing schedule, after Survivor: Micronesia last night I hit the record button on the DVR and recorded the second half of TNA iMPACT... so, my commentary starts at the beginning or the second hour...

Firstly, from what I saw, gimmick infringement was less pronounced last night. Bubba Ray Dudley slapped the ref ala Randy Orton at No Way Out, he also stole Eddie Guerrero's use-weapon-fall-down-while-ref's-back-is-turned gimmick, Gail Kim hit Jericho's Code Breaker, and of course, 'Stone Cold' Shark Boy. At least none of it happened on the mic.

The first match was basically a replay of last week, Team 3-D vs. Curry Man & Shark Boy, except this time Brother Devon didn't weigh in under the 275 limit (I had a hard time buying this. These days Devon is built like a brick sh*thouse. Bubba Ray is still as bulky as he's always been). I thought it was odd that Bubba Ray managed to hang on to the mic during Curry Man's school boy roll-up so that he could apologize to Devon for admonishing him about eating Twinkies. I wish this storyline hadn't gone down this route. Team 3-D was headed in the direction of the old-ECW Dudley Boys, superheels that were so abusive that they came close to causing riots in the crowd. Are we really supposed to believe that tiny Shark Boy can take down Brother Bubba Ray with a Lou Thesz press? Come on. Team 3-D gets the win after weapon usage (apparently weight scales are weapons now).

Kurt Angle cut a good promo. It was good to seem him on the mic again, actually talking about wrestling.

We come back from commercial to a promo with AJ Styles and Karen Angle, on their 'honeymoon' at Gatorland (I remember this place from when I was a kid. We'd drive past the 'Jumparoo' sign on the highway all the time. I thought that this place burned down a couple years ago?) Anyway, every time I hear him talk, I am astounded that AJ Styles character is written as such a witless, braindead hick. This guy is an amazing talent, and I think this persona cheapens his value. The promo was pointless. It's a stupid storyline, and who care about AJ and Karen at a second-rate amusement park.

The highlight of the night (of what I watched), was the Knockouts tag match. In my eyes, TNA has one thing going for it right now, and that's the women's division. The TNA Knockouts can (and do) actually wrestle. Personally, as long as it doesn't turn into what G.L.O.W. was, I'd love to see TNA roll out the rumored all-women show. On a side note, Jessica 'ODB' Kresa scares the Hell out of me. She doesn't have the frame of a woman, or carry herself like a woman. I must admit, the first time that I ever saw her, my gut-reaction was, 'Is that a transsexual?!' Yes, I went there. To this day, I find myself looking for an adam's apple, as well as her pronounced jawline. Sorry ODB... I don't mean to be rude, but looking at you is highly disturbing. (Please don't hunt me down and kill me in my sleep, She-Man. Oh, and tell Battle Cat and Orko that I said 'Hi')


Separated at birth? You be the judge

The Knockouts match was packed with action. Lots of exciting moves. Better than a lot of men's matches that I have watched on TNA. Gail Kim was awesome (WWE was a fool to let her get away) and Ms. Jacqueline looked better than she ever did on WWE. Roxxi Laveaux won clean after a fall away slam on Gail Kim. After the pin, ODB and Gail Kim start arguing over the loss. Gail Kim does a cross body from the turnbuckle onto ODB on the floor and it devolves into a street fight. Predictable.

Following the Knockouts match, there was an interview promo with Christian Cage, Samoa Joe and Kevin Nash. I'm not really sure why Joe and Nash were present, if there were just going to stand there and nod while Christian talked (Yes, the three are tagging now, but at leave give them something, anything to say). Christian has really bloomed since going to TNA. I wish TNA offered a better product so he could continue to shine. Working on this show has got to be like trying to polish a turd.

There was a second AJ Styles/Karen Angle promo. Pointless.

The Main Event, oh sorry... TNA calls it the 'Featured Contest', was Kurt Angle vs. Booker T. I was excited about this match, but it turned out to be a real disappointment. We were really supposed to believe that Kurt Angle would get his ass handed to him like that by Booker T? At least make it look competitive. Kurt Angle looked totally innefective against Booker, and that just doesn't make sense. On a side note, I don't know who is designing Kurt Angle's attire these days, but they should be fired. I've never been a fan of the olympic torch singlet, or the little white baby shoes... but with the 70's gym socks, it was the worst. There isn't a whole lot to say about the actual match, except Kurt looked inept, Booker looked too good, we saw another expected run-in interruption (Robert Roode) which allowed Kurt to get the Angle Slam off for the pin. Angle, Booker, Roode were joined by Christian... then Samoa Joe... then Kevin Nash.. then Tomko. Run-ins can be an exciting event, but not if they seem to happen every single week.

Again standard TNA fare this week... but the Knockouts stole the show. Nice work ladies (Oh, and you too, ODB).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This person is obviously blind by his love of WWE.

TNA is Wrestling, good old school wrrestling who drive your storyline