Some of Fenn's Favorite Wrestling Moments

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

WWE Monday Night Raw, 2/18/2008

I was highly disappointed in Monday Night Raw last night. It kind of felt like watching TNA. It's been a rough week... maybe I'm just burnt out. To be honest, I don't feel like putting much effort into writing this... but I will.

We opened with the promo with Triple H, then Randy Orton and John Cena. We see that Kevin Eck (RIng Posts) was right, and it's a triple threat at Wrestlemania. Lame. You know, I realize that it's just the way it is', and it's the way it's been done for years, but I'm sick of it. I am sick of buying pay per views, that are supposed to determine the direction of things to come, only to have it changed the following night on the televised shows.

What am I talking about?

Triple H vs. Randy Orton vs. John Cena: Well... let's see... the Royal Rumble is supposed to determine the challenger in the Main Event at Wrestlemania... but no... the storyline has John Cena give up his Wrestlemania 24 spot to challenge at No Way Out instead. In my mind, that's his one shot. Randy screws Cena out of the belt at No Way Out. Triple H wins the Raw Elimination Chamber. So it's now Randy Orton vs. Triple H... but no... now John Cena is back in the Main Event. Ultimately, we got what 'should' have happened as a result of the Royal Rumble, plus Triple H. I feel like, at least in this storyline, Raw wasted a month of my time, and money spent at two pay per views. Why are we supposed to buy pay per views, when you just change the result on Monday night? I'm sorry, but the constant switcheroo is extremely frustrating to me. Please make up your mind.

Jeff Hardy vs. Gene Snitsky: Did anyone honestly believe Snitsky being in a ladder match at Wrestlemania when his opponent is Jeff Hardy? I didn't. I wish they would have used an opponent more suited for a ladder match. Again, Kevin Eck was right (Kevin, do you have backstage source? I think so). Jeff Hardy qualifies for the Money in the Bank ladder match.
Side note: Jeff Hardy's new entrance music is awful

Shawn Michaels Hall of Fame Promo: Last night, with a tear in his eye, we saw Shawn Michaels announce Ric Flair as the 2008 first inductee for the Hall of Fame. I'm not gonna beat a dead horse about the apparent Flair/HBK match at Wrestlemania. At least we (hopefully) will see HBK turn heel again. My thoughts on the matter are here in the Kennedy vs. Flair section: WWE No Way Out 2008

Paul Burchill vs. Super Crazy: Not a whole lot to say here, but thank god it looks like the subliminal incestuous releationship angle is gone. I wouldn't be too sure about that 'bright future' in the WWE, King. This guy isn't getting over. Other than the few, pathetic 'Su-per Cra-zay' chants, you could have heard a pin drop in the arena. Poor Super Crazy. Relegated to jobber. You didn't have to call him old, JR. I wouldn't call him old... or fat. Oops.

Big Show with Floyd Mayweather Promo: "Anaheim! What's up?!" (Can you hear the crickets chirping?) I am still pissed about what happened at No Way Out. I know Wrestlemania traditionally has celebrity interaction in one form or another, and over the years there has been a fair share of boxers. You never saw Joe Frazier, Muhammad Ali, Butterbean or Mike Tyson break anyone's nose. What an ass. Oh, by the way, Floyd, you suck on the mic.

Ken Kennedy vs. Val Venis: See my comments above. No one believed that Val was going to get the win and be in a ladder match at Wrestlemania.
Side note: Kennedy's new theme music wasn't much better than Jeff's, and the 'Ken-Na-Dy's were out of sync.

Vince McMahon vs. Hornswoggle: I haven't been into where this storyline is going. I definately was not okay with what happened last night. Seriously, I know this is all kayfabe but it was disturbing. You're right, Finlay, 'This IS wrong". In my opinion, the crowd is on board with me. I think those boos were boos of 'this is not okay', rather than just a reaction to what was happening in the storyline. I don't know if Jericho was injured in the chamber, but there really should have been a run-in by him to stop this. My guess is JBL & Vince vs. Finlay & Y2J at Wrestlemania 24. Finlay put on a great performance. I believed his distraught yelling and pain... I'd give him an Oscar. You went too far with this one, Vince. This was disgusting and we do not approve.

Maria with Santino Marella vs. Beth Phoenix: Who cares... and what a cheap way to get the win.

Randy Orton vs. John Cena with Triple H as Referee: Since John Cena returned I am not really getting why Randy Orton is now being written as a cowardly champion. The only thing that I have considered is that he's being punished for backstage politics. It's been rumored that there is a new clique backstage (Orton, Carlito, Umaga, Mysterio and MVP), and Randy is the ringmaster (New Clique in WWE). I read elsewhere (sorry, I don't remember the source) that Randy Orton says things just within earshot of others walking by, while Randy is having a conversation with friends. The target of the comment is unable to tell if the comment is actually directed at them or not. (The example given was Shawn Michaels) Of course, there's no really way to know if this is true or not, and it's probably just a rumor.

I'm rambling again...

Anyway, as expected we wound up with a triple threat at Wrestlemania, with Triple H closing the show by giving a Pedigree to Orton and Cena after the match.

Bah.

No comments: