Some of Fenn's Favorite Wrestling Moments

Monday, February 18, 2008

WWE No Way Out 2/17/2008: Fenn's Fiasco, PPV Peril

If you're a regular reader of my blog, you'll remember that I mentioned that in my TNA: Cross the Line post on 2/15, I mentioned that my cable had been out for 24 hours. If you aren't a regular reader, now you know.

Anyway, I ended up getting the cable to work by connecting the co/ax directly to the TV... however my cable box has been non functional (no DVR, no PPV, etc), until finally, FINALLY Charter Cable replaced my box this morning, 5 days later. I called and reported the problem 5 separate times... was lied to and BS'ed about what the problem was (and obviously, they did nothing to fix the problem. I used the chat feature on their website twice with the same result. Over the past week I visited the local office three times before they gave me a replacement box, this morning. Obviously, I'm not talking about No Way Out Yet... I'm ranting about Charter Cable, because quite frankly, I'm pissed. How can it take a a company 10 separate times of the same customer reporting the same problem before they 'decide' to help that customer. The only thing that stopped me from saying to Charter, 'YOU'RE FIRRRRRRRRRED' is that Direct TV was not able to set up a dish the way my apartment is situated. You'll be happy to know, that Charter Cable did join Fenn's 'Kiss My Ass' club. If you haven't caught my drift... don't use Charter Cable.

So I had a dilemma... pay the same price to watch No Way Out on the internet as I would to watch it on TV (and have the ability to record it), or go to a WWE 'Blast Area'. So with the option to not be able to record it and watch on a tiny screen (with questionable streaming quality), and the option to not be able to record it and watch on a gi-normous screen, I opted for the Blast Area. I checked the WWE website and found that Yankee Doodle's in Woodland Hills, CA is a WWE Blast Area. We arrived around 4:30... staked out our seats, and ordered some ($40 worth of awful) munchies. Yankee Doodle's was showing the WWE Preview show... it's 3 minutes to 5, and on the TV's we see Yankee Doodle's ordering the PPV (Yes, they actually waited until the very last minute to order it). Everyone in the place starts clapping, until... a big screen pops up that reads, 'INSUFFICIENT CREDIT'. Yankee Doodle's claimed that it was an issue with Direct TV, but it seemed to me that they didn't pay their bill. We watched them attempt to order the PPV over... and over... and over... eventually they stop trying. They tell us that it should be up around 6-ish. In an attempt to entertain us, Yankee Doodles put on the All Star game, only to turn it off 5 minutes later... then turn it on, and off... (you get the idea). Remarkably the crowd (about 50 other people) were surprisingly patient. We ate our crappy, overpriced appetizers... we were ignored by the waitress... we weren't given one refill on our drinks... It sucked.

It was about 6:15 when employees were seen scrambling behind the bar. The TVs blinked to life, just in time to see the Mae Young Wrestlemania 24 commercial. We missed the ECW match, as well as the entire Smackdown! Elimination Chamber match. Yankee Doodle's, you can join the 'Kiss Fenn's Ass' club, too. You'll never, eeeeeever see another dollar from me, Junior. Assclowns...

By this point, if you care about No Way Out, you either watched it live, read results today, or watched on You Tube (like I had to do today to see the Smackdown chamber match). I'm not gonna give the usual full rundown (but that's what I always say, isn't it?)

CM Punk vs. Chavo: I didn't watch it. Honestly, I don't care. Chavo sucks as a heel. I understand Chavo won clean. Who cares.

Smackdown Elimination Chamber: I read on a few sites today that this was a great match, so I dug it up on You Tube. I thought that this match was pretty lame, especially the entrant order. In my opinion, Finlay and MVP (who shouldn't have even been in the thing) should have started the match. I felt that the 'action' was slow. Is it just me, or did they unlock Big Daddy V when Khali's light went on? Nice job. The outcome of this match was pretty apparent from the start, as is the winner of the belt at Wrestlemania. Bah.

This is where the PPV started at the sports bar. I didn't time them, but they all seemed to be short matches.

Kennedy vs. Flair: I liked this match. I love this rivalry, and hope it continues. It's the first time Ric Flair has entertained me since his match with Vince McMahon at the Royal Rumble in 2002. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I would love to see Mr. Kennedy retire Ric Flair at Wrestlemania, and have Ric Flair become Kennedy's valet. The two work great together. I would hate it if Kevin Eck (Ring Posts) is right and it's Ric Flair vs. HBK at Wrestlemania. It's bad enough to see one guy doing the same, tired crap he's done for decades, without it being two of them.

Edge vs. Rey Mysterio: With Rey's injury, this match was understandably short. I shudder of the thought of Edge vs. Undertaker at Wrestlemania. Even if it becomes a triple threat, Edge really should not be in the main event. I hope and pray they strip him of the belt and Undertaker faces someone else... anyone else.

Big Show's return: I'm pretty sure this was a worked shoot gone wrong. Floyd Mayweather Jr's blows were legit. If Big Show's nose isn't broken, I'd be very surprised. Didn't anyone work with this guy and teach him how to throw stage punches? I felt bad for Big Show. What a s***ty way to have to make a comeback. I'm still not convinced Shane McMahon showing up and trying to calm Big Show was part of the shoot. If I were Big Show, doing an 'I'm back' promo, and someone pulled that, I would have gone after the guy, for real.

John Cena vs. Randy Orton: Man Cena, you are falling into the classification of 'guy I hate to watch'. Same, tired crap... over, and over, and over... have you been hanging out with Flair and HBK? Please learn from their mistakes... learn some more stuff. Your FU is a fireman's carry body slam. Jumping shoulder blocks are boring. Five knuckle shuffle, the most useless signature move, EVER. Spinout powerbomb... boring execution. Why don't you use the Freestyle or Throwback anymore? At least those were stylish. Randy's slap to the ref was priceless. I laughed my ass off. You deserved to be robbed. The more I watch you, the more I find myself starting to agree with the marks that say, 'you can't wrestle'. Watching Khali is more entertaining than watching you. When I started this blog, I promised myself that I'd never put the following video on my blog, but oh well. Deal with it.


Raw Elimination Chamber: Great match, great moves, great performances by everyone. I was especially impressed with Umaga. Speaking of which, the chain of finishers leading to his elimination was awesome. I feel that this match was over too quickly. Given that No Way Out ran the full three hour slot, unfortunately it seemed rushed like they ran out of time. Jeff Hardy was robbed again. I want you to have the belt, but... 1) Triple H, is that damn good. If we compare his performance at the house show on the 16th with yours, he blew your doors off. The crowd exploded when you came out and you seemed like to didn't care, or want to be there. You have to shine off-camera too, Jeff. 2) You're facing nepotism

So that's my No Way Out 2008 rant. Am I bitter? Hell yes.

No comments: