Some of Fenn's Favorite Wrestling Moments

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

ECW 2/5/08

For the first time in a long while, I enjoyed ECW last night.

The show opened with CM Punk ranting about his rematch clause and calling out Chavo. Rather than talk about the dialogue, here comes my Straight Edge and Fashion Police diatribe. We'll see CM Punk vs. Chavo at No Way Out. Side note: Apparently 'CM' now stands for 'Crazy Mariachi'.

I like CM Punk. The guy obviously has skills. HOWEVER... It's cool that CM Punk is Straight Edge, but honestly, it pisses me off that this is being used as a gimmick. What can I say, I'm an old, grown up punk rocker that came of age in Washington, DC, the birthplace of Straight Edge. I am friends with Ian MacKaye, the pioneer of straight Edge, his brother Alec MacKaye. I am friends with Brian Baker, former bassist for Minor Threat, current guitarist for Bad Religion. I could go on and on... I'm not bragging here, just stating facts. The point of all this is, I grew up in that scene. I lived it. I know what it is and what it means. While yes, I think it's great that kids are picking up a positive message, the problem that I have is the mindless mentality. I see kids in the crowd holding 'straight edge' signs. They like Straight Edge, because CM Punk is Straight Edge, not because it's what they believe in. Not because they understand it. Sorry, but I absolutely cannot stand it when people (yes, even kids) don't think for themselves. I call these folks, 'Sheep-le', simple following the flock. It's like GWAR said in 'Slaughterama', '...follow the herd... just another cow...'. CM Punk, WWE, whoever... don't cheapen a movement just to sell tickets and T Shirts.

Now let's focus my attention on the world of wrestling champion fashion... Chavo & MVP, pay attention. You two are the most serious of offenders (any former or future champions may want to take note too). Didn't you learn anything from Triple H? When coming to the ring in street clothes, or more importantly a suit, that title belongs on your shoulder, not on your waist. Holy crap, have some dignity. ...and while I have your attention, Chavo, might I suggest NOT tucking your jeans into your cowboy boots. Heh.

Now that that's over, the whole CM Punk/Chavo exchange set up the first-ever 'Gulf of Mexico match'. Uhm, why can't you just call it a street fight? Oh, I see, you have to through your opponent in the Gulf of Mexico. Hmm... kinda lame. I was pleased to hear Armando Estrada say this was an Extreme Rules match, but it wouldn't be long before I found that not one weapon would be used... unless a fisherman's bait cooler counts as a weapon. Bummer.

First match of the night... Diva tag. Not much to remark on here. Stripper-esque backflips by Kelly Kelly, followed by a botched springboard elbow in the corner. Michelle McCool actually showed improvement. Jumping into the hurricarana at the turnbuckle was impressive. for the most part, typical Diva fare... oversold, botched and blown.

John Morrison vs. Tommy Dreamer. It's good to see more of Tommy Dreamer on TV. Looks like they've hitched his wagon to Colin Delaney... (does he even have a wagon?)

Saw a promo with Steven Richards. He comes back from injury net week. It amazing how shocking I find original ECW footage sometimes. Maybe I'm getting old... Maybe Vince has un-dulled my senses with 'safe wrestling'.

Kofi Kingston (Mr. Yellow Legwarmers) vs. Jamie Curtis. Last night, Jamie Curtis was the first one to join Kofi Kingston's 'Kiss My Sack' club. Kingston jumped onto Curtis' shoulders while in the turnbuckle and started dropping headshots. Uhm, sorry, but I don't need (or want) to see Kofi teabagging a jobber. Side note: Kofi, the leg drop was lame when Hogan used it... it more lame when you use it, with both legs I might add. The Bicycle Kick I can live with.

The 'Gulf of Mexico match' was kind of a disappointment. Don't tell the viewer it's an Extreme Rules match if that's not what it is. It was a street fight with water.

More on Friday... or Saturday, unless something I find something else to ramble on about.

No comments: