Some of Fenn's Favorite Wrestling Moments

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

WWE Monday Night Raw 2/25/2008

I was fairly satisfied with WWE Monday Night Raw last night. Here we go...

Raw opened with an in-ring promo with John Cena, Randy Orton and Triple H, with William Regal as a 'moderator'. I'm not sure why, but for some reason they tried to make it (somewhat) reminiscent of a UFC weigh-in. What I mean is, they did the whole promo-photographs of the competitors before the match. John Cena even posed with his hands up. It felt a little odd. MMA's influence on WWE continues. The whole promo was a little predictable, but entertaining nonetheless. What I wasn't clear about was why all the attention was focused on Triple H and John Cena, while Randy Orton stood in the background. Even when Randy Orton took the mic, it appeared that he was being ignored by Trips and Cena... an afterthought. The weakening of 'Randy Orton, Champion' continues week by week. As expected, both of them turn on Orton and clear the ring of him, which in turn leads to them fighting. Orton returns to the ring and pulls RKO sneak attacks on each of them. I wish I knew why creative is doing this to Randy Orton's character. He's a great, believable heel... well, he used to be, anyway.

After the commercial break, we have a backstage promo between Ken Kennedy and Randy Orton, with Kennedy vowing to win the Money in the Bank Ladder match at WrestleManaia, and turning in the contract the same night after the WWE title match. I don't know if this is actually the case or not, but it seemed to me that Mr. Kennedy has been working on promo skills with Shawn Michaels. The speech pattern, delivery and dialogue all seemed to be lifted from the 'HBK Cocky Heel' playbook. Who knows?

The first match of the night was Santino Marella & Carlito vs. Hardcore Holly & Cody Rhodes. There isn't a lot to say here... Bob Holly & Cody Rhodes won. I feel bad for Carlito. I don't know why they are keeping him buried in Santino's shadow. Sure, Santino has some mic skills, but when compared to Carlito, Santino is the inferior wrestler, not to mention he's ridiculous to look at. Furthermore, Carlito is just as good on the mic. I wish JR & King could've just focused on their commentary, rather than trying to get Maria's attention, over, and over, and over again. So annoying. I was left wondering what the whole point was... well, there wasn't one, except to show Maria in here Play boy Bunny logo outfit. Lame.

The press conference held earlier in the day was of course re-capped. The only reason I mention this, is I watched it live yesterday (see my thoughts here: WM 24 Press Conference). Congratulations, editing team. You managed to make Floyd Mayweather not look like a complete moron. Good job editing out all of the boos, as well as the 10-15 minutes when he looked like a child lost in the supermarket). I didn't think it was possible to polish a turd. Nice work. I missed Big Show at the press conference yesterday. In the package it was pretty impressive that Show's fist is nearly as large as Mayweather's head.

William Regal announced the Main Event. Something to be excited about. One of my faves, Mr. Kennedy is finally going to get to play with the big boys (I would later be disappointed when he basically ended up a jobber to the stars). After the announcement, Jericho approaches Regal and they trade hair insults. I hadn't really thought about it (but now I will unfortunately always think about it), but William Regal was right. Jericho's new hairstyle does look like a Cockatoo.


Separated at birth? You be the judge.

Chris Jericho made an obscure reference to their intercontinental title feud in '03 when he urinated in William Regal's tea, but I don't know if many fans will remember it. This whole promo set up the best match of the night, Y2J's Money in the Bank ladder match qualifier, Chris Jericho vs, Jeff Hardy.

Man, I hate Jeff Hardy's new entrance music. It's really bad... at least when compared to the old music. As one would expect, this was an exciting match. We've all seen the majority of the moves in this match, but it wasn't boring at all. Their two styles compliment each other like coffee and cigarettes (okay, not the most healthy analogy, but I have to draw from my source material). Jeff Hardy and Y2J made up for the botched double cross body in the Elimination Chamber (at No Way Out they jumped parallel and banged heads rather than hitting each other perpendicular), this time getting it right. Each Superstar successfully countered each other's signature moves throughout the match, adding to the excitement. One of my favorite counters was Jericho's bulldog into the second rope turnbuckle, but I didn't think Jeff sold it very well (he should have pushed Jericho like Trips does when he counters the RKO). There was a beautiful Whisper in the Wind into a pin attempt. On Jeff's sitout inverted suplex, the landing looked rough. Jericho landed face first. The match ended with an incredible finish... it's hard to put into words, but basically it was a Twist of Fate countered but Walls of Jericho, which was countered by Jericho rolling up Jeff into a pin, who in turn rolled through and pinned Y2J, who rolled through and got the pin, winning the match. The ladder match at WrestleMania is what I am looking forward to the most. So far, it contains all favorites of mine. It's just missing Matt Hardy and Umaga and then I have my dream match. Yes, I said Umaga. Many don't realize it, but the big guy, can fly.

Last night the Hornswoggle storyline has finally changed direction. Hopefully, it will be for the better. In my opinion, it really went too far, and last week was reprehensible. I've been waiting for them to announce Hornswoggle as Finlay's son, and last night it happened. Hopefully, WWE will finally reveal what 'The Deal' is, that Vince McMahon and Finlay kept referring to week after week last month. Then again, you never know... Hornswoggle was never thrown over the top rope at the Royal Rumble, and that was never addressed.
Side note: JBL, what the hell are you wearing? A royal blue shirt with a white collar & a robin's egg blue tie? WTF?

DH Smith made his return to Monday Night Raw last night, facing Umaga. Other than leading into the next promo with William Regal and Paul Burchill, I'm not really sure why this match took place. Umaga is already way over as a monster heel, and DH Smith got his ass handed to him. Like Colin Delaney last week on ECW, he only got two punches off. At least we got to see Umaga's Samoan Splash. It was almost as impressive as his (then Jamal) turnbuckle splash on Jeff Hardy (who was on a table on the floor) at Survivor Series 2002. My secret wish... bring back his brother Rikishi, and have a new Wild Samoans (although, please no dancing or stink faces. The Umaga gimmick is awesome). Creative, if you send Paul Burchill to WrestleMania 24 over Umaga, we're gonna riot (unless you grant my wish and put Umaga in the ladder match. See, I can compromise).

We saw HBK in action against Lance Cade. You know, I'm starting to get fed up. I know they need to drive the storyline and all, but is it really necessary to do it through pointless matches like this one? Is that the only way you can get HBK in the ring? That's not what you did last week. I'm sorry Ric Flair, but while Shawn Michaels may be 'absolutely incredible', it would probably be more appropriate (and believable) to make that statement after an absolutely incredible victory. My 'non-competitive wrestling' gripes continue. Anyway, The Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels match at WrestleMania is now a reality.
Side note: Is February national 'bloody/broken nose month'? HBK at No Way Out, Big Show at No Way Out, Jesse on Friday's Smackdown!, Shawn Michaels again last night. Hmm.

I was disappointed with the Main Event. It wasn't a bad match. I just desperately want Ken Kennedy to get over. My dreams would be dashed as he was made to look ineffective. I truly believe the guy could be just as entertaining as The Rock was, if given the chance. He's got the charisma, the physical talent, as well as the mic chops. Oh well. Triple H and John Cena win (of course), with Mr. Kennedy getting off a sneak attack Mic Check on John Cena after the bell.

On to ECW... It was mentioned that the big match tonight would be Santino Marella & Layla vs. Kofi Kingston & Kelly Kelly. Oh golly gee. I just can't wait (sarcasm)

No comments: